In the east, the ridges of Chiaksan Mountain, which consist of Birobong, Hyangnobong, and Namdaebong Peaks, embraces the city like a folding screen, and in the west, the Seomgang River, meandering back and forth, creates the superb views that the city boasts. Along with Gangwon Gamyeong (Gangwon Province administration building), which was a political, economic and cultural center during the Joseon era, Wonju's splendid culture and traditions are still blooming in harmony with the present. The city, a transportation hub with Yeongdong Expressway and Jungang Expressway stretching in all directions, has evolved into the national center of industries and logistics. Currently, Wonju is preparing for a second bold leap forward creating an Enterprise City and an Innovation city. Wonju, which preserves a pristine, beautiful nature, is dreaming of becoming a green city full of hope and a dynamic city in the capital area.
- Total area : 872.45km²
- Population : 332,849 (165,607 males and 167,275 females) as of July 2015
- Total area : 872.45km²
- Administrative Division : 1 Eups, 8 Myeons, 16 Dongs
- Registered Automobiles : 185,021
- Temperature : 12.8℃ (as of 2020)
- Rainfall : 1,317 mm (as of 2020)
Main Transportation Hub
Wonju, from the past, has been the crossroads for travel from Yeongdong area to Seoul and from Chungcheong area to Gyeongsang area.
Main Transportation Network 40 minutes to Seoul
- Airline Route for Wonju - Jeju
- Yeongdong Highway for Seoul - Gangenung
- Central Highway for Wonju - Busan
- Highway for Gwangju of Gyeonggido – Wonju
- High-Speed Railway for Seoul – Wonju - Gangneung
- High-Speed Railway for Seoul - Wonju - Andong
- Capital Area Double Track Railway for Yeoju - Wonju
- Double Track Railway for Wonju – Jecheon
Knowledge-Based Business City
Wonju, dreaming of becoming Korea's "Silicon Valley" in the medical device industry, has promoted a project to create an environment-friendly ecological city with the concept of a "future-type advanced bio-medical city". This project will turn Wonju into an international medical complex city where residential, commercial, and industrial zones are combined in harmony.
The success of businesses and happiness of residents are blooming in the Business City.
Business City of Wonju is evolving as a completion self-contained city. The Business City of Wonju is a pleasant and safe city constructed with a goal of securing health, life culture, wellness, and ubiquitous in the area of 5.28 million ㎡ in Jijeong-myeon area.
- Size of Jijeong-myeon area : 5.28m. ㎡
- Planned population for the site : 30,000
- Housed corporations : 28 corporations
With Seowonju IC in proximity, Seowonju station and Manjong station will help it to serve as a foothold for transportation and logistics.
Housing & education, and commerce & culture as well as R&D & production harmonize in the self-contained business city. Thus it promises success of businesses and pursues happiness of residents
Noble Innovative City
It is a new future-type city with optimal conditions for innovations and a high-quality living environment created through cooperation between public institutions relocated from the capital area and industry-academia centers. A total of 13 public institutions such as the Korea Tourism Organization, the National Health Insurance Corporation, and the National Forensic Service have moved into Wonju to create a new city.
Nation’s special administrative city Brings valuable future
Innovative City of Wonju represented by public organizations in the field of health & life, tourism, resource development and public service grows as the nation’s special administrative city.
Advanced public transit system and stable infrastructure of education, medical service and parks made the City reborn as a livable and work friendly place.
Public Organizations relocated to the Innovative City Zone
- Tourism Function Group
- Korea Tourism Organization
- Korea National Park Service
- Resource Development Function Group
- Korea Coal Corporation
- Korea Rehabilitation and Mineral Resources Corporation
- Health & Life Function Group
- National Health Insurance Service
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service
- Korean Red Cross Blood Service Headquarters
- Korea Veterans Health Service
- Public Service Function Group
- Road Traffic Authority
- National Forensic Service, Korea
- Research Institute for Local Administration
- Forest Aviation Headquarters
Cutting-Edge Medical Industry
Cutting-edge technology based digital healthcare special zone.
Nation’s first large medical devices techno-valley is located in Wonju. It has grown as the mecca of medical devices industry. Plus, the City is designated as a digital healthcare deregulation special zone. It fosters development of the City as a high value-added digital healthcare industrial city.
Industry’s key stake-holders are engaged in open innovation system
- Test & evaluation, licensing and clinical test
- Relevant organization networking, seminar and forum
- Domestic and international market entrance supporting
Human Resources Training
- Digital healthcare industry is promoted through talent training that links businesses and universities.(corporate customized course, project based course)
- Health care public organizations relocated to the Innovative City of Wonju, including Korea National Health Insurance Corporation and Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service, and medical devices firms and uni. will form a cooperation of industry, academia, institute and government, leading the cutting-edge medical devices industry. Marking the 17th anniversary of its opening, the Gangwon Medical Equipment Show 2021 will play a pivotal role in upgrading the nation’s medical equipments industry.
GTI International Trade & Investment EXPO
SME firms sales route
GTI International Trade& Investment EXPO invites GTI(Great Tumen Initiative) member countries, including South Korea, China, Japan, and Russia in a single platform. As top local firms of these countries bring together their products, it emerges as a leading industrial EXPO in the region of North-East Asia.
Best companies’ products are brought together in one place. North-East Asia’s leading industrial EXPO.
Held on- and off- line simultaneously, GTI EXPO sees a steady hike in the volume of contracts with participating firms each year. In 2021, it made a splendid achievement of signing 400 billion won of export contracts.