(Historic site no.439)
Gangwon Province administration building
- Classification : Structure/ politics and security/ royal palace and public office/ public office
- Unit/ extent : 9,608㎡
- Designation/ registration date : March 9, 2002
- Location : 85, Wonil-ro, Wonju-si, Gangwon-do (Ilsan-dong)
- Period : Joseon era
- Manager (management group) : Wonju City
The Gangwon Gamyeong was the administrative center of the Gangwon area that governed 26 administrative districts (bu, mok, gun, and hyeon) in the region during the Joseon era. For about 500 years from its establishment in 1395 (4th year of King Taejo) to 1895 (32nd year of King Gojong), it served as the office of Gangwon-do Province until it was closed with the abolition of the 8-province system and the introduction of the 23-bu system.
It is estimated that the gamyeong consisted of 31 buildings, including Seonhwadang (office building), Jaeeundang (inner quarters), Pojeongru (main gate), four other gates, guesthouse and other attached buildings. However, with the construction of Wonju City Hall and the Veterans Center in later times, the gamyeong lost its old look and only main buildings such as Seonhwadang, Pojeongru and Cheongundang are currently remaining. An archaeological survey in 2000 identified building sites presumed to be the sites of Jungsammun and Naesammun Gates, workshop, library, etc. Also, the traces of the passage from Pojeongru through Jungsammun and Naesammun Gates to Seonhwadang, and the fences and servants' quarters surrounding Seonhwadang are preserved in a relatively good condition. In addition, the stone walls near the Bangji Pond site in the back of Seonhwadang remain in good condition as well.
At the Gangwon Gamyeong site, major buildings such as Seonhwadang, Pojeongru, and Cheongundang remain in their original locations, and ruins such as the traces of Jungsammun and Naesammun Gates, workshop, library, passages, fences, and servants' quarters are also relatively well preserved. In addition, as the site of the Wonju-mok Office that had been at this site before Gangwon Gamyeong was installed remains well underneath the ground surface, this site provides important resources for the study of traditional Korean public offices.
The official name of the place was changed from the Site of Gangwon Gamyeong in Wonju to the Gangwon Gamyeong in Wonju. (Notified on July 28, 2011)